Up for auction at 4PM on 3 July 1841 at the Three Crowns Hotel (corner of Horsefair Street and Gallowtree Gate, Leicester) was the ‘very valuable tithe-free estate, called Bullivant’s Farm’ in Shearsby. This farm could be found near the church in the village and consisted of a good-sized substantial brick-built farm-house, with out-buildings, walled garden and the following rich grazing and arable land.
||House, Garden, &c.
|| Cotton’s Close
|| Townsend Close
|| Osier-bed Close
|| Bean Hill Close
|| Barn Close (Arable)
|| Far Close
|| Far Long Close
Measurements: 40 perches = 1 rood, 4 roods = 1 acre.
The whole of the above farm land (excepting Barn Close) was said to be rich grazing land, in a high state of cultivation. It was then in the occupation of a Mrs. Walker (widow), who was under notice to quit by the next Old Michaelmas Day (29 September).
The farm was free from any tithing obligations, but subject to a land tax of £6 12s. 10d., a Fee Farm Rent of £1 and a Quit Rent of eight pence per year to the Lord of the Manor. Purchasers might take advantage of the offer for one half of the purchase price to remain on mortgage for five years at 4.5%.
In November that year the farming stock, hay, corn wool, keeping, furniture, etc. belonging to William Walker was up for auction. The first day’s sale consisted of 230 ewes and theaves (1 – 2 year old ewes, that have not yet given birth to lambs, at least in the Midlands and some southern English counties), 75 fat shearhogs (lambs after first shearing), 155 lambhogs (second year lambs), five rams, fourteen capital dairy cows, eleven in-calf heifers, two barren cows; eleven fat cows, steer, seg (“An aged bull that is castrated is called a segg.” Oxford English Dictionary), five calves, five draught mares, two hackney horses, pony, yearling colt and filly, foal, five store pigs, two sows, capital six-inch and narrow wheel wagons and carts, double and single ploughs, harrows, land roll, winnowing machine, fleaks [I have no idea what a fleak was], horse tackle, ladders, etc. Also about 770 fleeces of superior wool.
All the above was to be sold at the Saddington Keeping at an auction supervised by B. Payne & Son from 10 o’clock onwards. Later that day the sale moved to the Keeping on parry’s land for the wheat, barley oats, 170 acres of grass keeping rented until the next 25th of March, 20 acres of stubble, three acres of swedes and some stacks of hay and clover.
On the second day of the sale all the household furniture, china, glass, brewing vessels. dairy utensils, kitchen requisites and about fifty capital cheeses were to be disposed of.
In April 1842, some 70 acres of superior grass-keeping land, recently occupied by Mrs. Walker, came up for sale. This may well have been the same land as her husband had farmed during his lifetime
Two years after the initial sale, on 22 July 1843, the Leicester Chronicle’s Births, Deaths and Marriages column carried the news of the passing of Ann Dowell, who had died in Leicester, after a very painful illness, the previous Tuesday. Ann was the widow of the late William Walker, who had died on 3 April 1841, aged 52.
The Leicester Chronicle: or, Commercial and Agricultural Advertiser (Leicester, England), Saturday, July 03, 1841; pg. ;
The Leicester Chronicle: or, Commercial and Agricultural Advertiser (Leicester, England), Saturday, November 20, 1841
The Leicester Chronicle: or, Commercial and Agricultural Advertiser (Leicester, England), Saturday, April 23, 1842; pg. ;
The Leicester Chronicle: or, Commercial and Agricultural Advertiser (Leicester, England), Saturday, July 22, 1843;
Image: Shearsby Parish Council (2016) The Parish of Shearsby: Map of fields by M. Jeffery.
© 2017. Comments, Likes and Pingbacks welcomed, especially if you know what the word ‘fleak’ means.